Monday, January 21, 2013

Psalm 139- through different eyes


Yesterday was an emotionally powerful day. It was "sanctity of life" Sunday. This is one Sunday a year that churches, usually nation-wide,  pause from normal sermon content to focus on the value God places on each and every life.

Our service began with a sweet third grader reading Psalm 139. Hearing a child read scripture is always precious in my opinion. What made this time especially powerful was the fact that she was blind. Completely without sight. She waxed over large words eloquently and was using the tips of her fingers to read. Needless to say, tears streamed down my face the entire time.

It was not simply because she was blind, nor that she could read using her hands better than some that can read using their eyes. It certainly was not the first time I had read, or heard Psalm 139. It was that when I heard her sweet little voice clearly say these following verses, I understood them through different eyes:

"For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; (emphasis mine)
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts, God!
    How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
    they would outnumber the grains of sand
    when I awake, I am still with you."

You see, as I quietly sat in church with a steady flow of tears down my face, I knew that precious little girl was truly fearfully and wonderfully made. I was convicted of the many times I have worried that my unborn and developing children wont be "perfect" and for the fear I have had of not knowing what to do in light of that reality. I was convicted of times when I wish there was some control I could have over their formation, a way I could make sure it was done "right". 

Yet, what struck me so powerfully was the truth that I have the creator of all good and perfect things kitting my children together. I am not more wonderfully made than a blind third grader. God did not make a mistake in creating either of us, or anyone for that matter. I can be confident that each of my sweet little babes will be fearfully and wonderfully made. And that is a truth I can rest in- we call can rest in. 

So my babies, keep growing- God is personally crafting you into the most beautiful creations. I can promise you that he will do a much better job than I could ever dream of. I love you so very much! Love always, your mom.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! This verse has been one I've repeated quite a bit the last few months as well. :)

    ReplyDelete