Thursday, November 6, 2014

Home

After a little over two months we made our first trip back to Elk Grove. As I thought about going back I had a few nerves. Truthfully, I have been purposely avoiding visiting for fear that it would stir up too many emotions about no longer living there. I loved our time living in Elk Grove. I loved the city parks, I loved our friends, our church, our jobs and especially our home. It was the city we started life as Mr. and Mrs., where we added our forever-loyal pup Bailey, where we walked through tough life circumstances with some rock solid community and, my personal favorite, where God brought our precious girls into our lives.

Over the summer when we were approached to accept the role of Adult Ministries pastor at Sunrise Community Church, in a foreign land called "Fair Oaks" I was initially hesitant. I wrestled with God over many factors about moving. A main one leaving behind Elk Grove and all that was tied to that sleepy valley town. Although God had led me to a place of surrender and peace about leaving and starting afresh I was still sad to say goodbye. In fact, many tears were shed driving away on move-out day. It will forever hold a dear place in my heart.

After a super speedy dinner at our favorite local diner, ahem... Chick-fil-a, with our favorite twin friends it was time to hit the road to make it back for bath time. (On a side note, if you are an EG friend and we did not see you: I am sorry! We were literally in town for 45 minutes. Come and see us!) On our drive back to Fair Oaks Greg and I discussed our trip "home". We both agreed that it did not feel like home anymore. It felt familiar and nostalgic, much like visiting your hometown after moving away to college.

God has been beyond good to us in this transition. The community at SCC has gone above and beyond to welcome us and we are deeply grateful. I have been warmly welcomed by many moms and I am starting to build new friendships and a new community. And although Fair Oaks doesn't quite feel as homey as Elk Grove did when we left, there certainly is potential for it to be!

Although the girls sadly won't remember their time in Elk Grove, we certainly will! So, thank you Elk Grove and all my dear loved ones for making our four years there truly unforgettable.

Cheers to new adventures in life!

For fun here are a few pictures from our Elk Grove days:











1 comment:

  1. Hello, from Elk Grove! Hope we can all get together soon with all the babies!!! :)

    ReplyDelete